Recipe by Amayzng30
This "casserole" is simple, rustic food, and it is great. Easy to make and you will get rave reviews. Yet another adaptation from Parragon press.
Top Review by LouLouIzSpoiled
Simple to make and it made for an interesting meal that we loved! I loved the combination of the tomatoes, wine and olives along with the other ingredients. I used a 3 lb. chicken and it fed 3 of us. This was an excellent dish that makes you feel like you had something better than the same ole same ole! Will make again!
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) roasting chickens, quartered (about 2.5-3 lbs.)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) jars pimientos
- 2⁄3 cup red wine (recommend Rioja)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 12 olives, pitted (black or green)
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper, and paprika in a large, resealable plastic bag.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken, then place in bag and shake to coat in flour.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the chicken and cook over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes turning once. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until lightly browned. Add the tomatoes and bell pepper and cook an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Place the chicken and vegetables in a large casserole dish. Add the wine, stock, potatoes, olives, and bay leaf. Cover and bake at 375 for one hour or until chicken is tender.
- Remove from oven, check seasoning, and stir in the jarred pimientos. If desired, hot sauce, sherry vinegar, and additional paprika may be added before serving.