Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was gradually modified from a Vegetta Stock advertisement published in a magazine Australia. The chorizo is absolutely essential to the flavour. I prepare the recipe in a wok but a large fry-pan would also work. It freezes well and people tell me it tastes great.
- 750 g diced chicken
- 1⁄2-1 chorizo sausage
- olive oil (for frying)
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 green capsicum, diced
- 1 -2 medium onion, diced
- 1 -2 medium carrot, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 440 g crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups chicken stock (to cover) or 2 cups beef stock (to cover)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- In a wok brown the chicken in the olive oil and remove.
- Add the chorizo, garlic, capsicum, carrot and onion to the wok and stir-fry about 5 minutes (until softened).
- Add the paprika and fry until fragrant (about 1 min), add the red wine and fry until the alcohol (but not the liquid) has evaporated.
- Then add the tomato paste, tomatoes, bay leaf and stock and cook a further 5 minutes, adding only enough liquid to almost cover the other ingredients.
- Add cooked chicken and heat through.
- Transfer into a really large casserole dish (sorry I don't know the capacity) and bake at 180°C for 1 hour.
- The original recipe added olives and parsley after the hour and cooked a further 15-20 minutes, I found this was too much but you may wish to try it.
- We eat it with Jasmine rice.
Excellent dish! We loved it. I used homemade chorizo - Chorizo (Mexican Sausage). The flavors are great together and it smelled wonderful while it was cooking. We served this over rice. Thanks for posting this Kezz!
The flavours here are great...I made as directed replacing the red wine with stock and added a little chopped chilli to heat things up a bit. We ate ours served with creamy mashed spuds. Thanks for sharing!