Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Make this with bone-in chicken breasts, you may adjust the amount of cumin and chili powder to taste, the jalapeno pepper is only optional add in for heat, throw in some sliced green olives also if desired :)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt, divided (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (you can use 1 teaspoon if desired)
- 4 -5 bone-in chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil, divided (can use more if needed)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) jarsliced pimientos, drained
- 1 cup uncooked converted white rice (Uncle Ben's is good to use)
- 2 1⁄2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- Set oven to 350 degres F.
- Grease a 4-quart casserole dish (make certain that your casserole dish is wide enough to hold all the chicken pieces, or use one large enough).
- Combine the flour 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, black pepper and garlic powder in a large resealable plastic bag; add in the chicken breasts and shake until well coated.
- Heat 3 tablespoons butter with 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Brown the breasts on both sides, then remove to a plate and tent loosley with foil to keep warm.
- In the same skillet with the drippings saute the onion, garlic, green bell pepper, jalapeno pepper with tumeric, chili powder and a pinch of cayenne pepper until veggies are tender (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add in pimientos and uncooked rice; reduce heat to medium-low and cook stirring for 3 minutes.
- Slowly add in the broth and remaining 1 teaspoon seasoned salt; bring just to a boil, stirring.
- At this point adjust all seasonings if needed.
- Transfer the rice mixture to the baking dish.
- Top with the browned chicken breasts.
- Cover and bake for about 45 minutes or until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through.