Prep 8 mins
Cook 32 mins
This is a healthy, flavorful family meal. To turn this dish into a party-friendly paella, you can add 1/4 t. saffron with the rice. Then, 5 minutes before the rice is done, you can add 3/4 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp. This gives this recipe a bit of versatility.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento-stuffed Spanish olives, chopped (for garnish)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season with 1/2 t. salt and 1/4 t. pepper and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine, tomatoes and their liquid, rice, 1/2 t. salt, and 1/4 t. pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir the peas into the rice and chicken and cook, covered, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon the chicken and rice onto individual plates and sprinkle with the parsley. Garnish with the olives.
This was very good! We do not drink so I substituted white COOKING wine. I had no peas (family doesn't care for) and forgot the parsley. This will be made again and maybe next time I'll slip the peas in. Thank you for sharing.Made for THE GROOVY GASTROGNOMES of ZWT5 (Family Pick).
Absolutely wonderful!!! I left out the green pepper (can't eat them) and the salt. This will be made again. DH hummed through his dinner....IMHO what better review can you get than that? Thank you for sharing. Made for ZWT5.