Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Emmanuelle Mercier (Strasbourg, France)
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Butter a cake mold and place the sliced almonds in one layer on the bottom.
- Mix powdered almonds with the lemon zest.
- Separate the eggs and beat the yolks with the sugar until just white and frothy - add the almond/zest mixture.
- Beat the egg whites with the salt until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into the almond mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool slightly before attempting to remove from the mold.