Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This cake is very rich and delicious! I found the recipe in "Talk About Good II".
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks (save 2 egg whites for icing!)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 2⁄3 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
7-MINUTE CARMEL ICING
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- FOR CAKE: Cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl and add to mixture.
- Sift all dry ingredients together; flour, baking powder and spices.
- Add them to the creamed mixture, alternating with milk.
- Stir in water.
- Fold in pecans.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9X13-inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Ice with 7-minute Carmel Icing.
- FOR ICING: Place first four ingredients in the top of a double boiler.
- Beat until well blended.
- Place ingredients over rapidly boiling water.
- Beat constantly with electric mixer for 7 minutes.
- Remove from double boiler and continue beating for 1 minute.
- Add vanilla.
- Beat until icing is or right consistency to spread.
The spices in this cake gave it a wonderful flavor. I also loved the Icing. The cake just seemed to be a little on the dry side.