Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my twist on a peasant-style soup.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups canned tomatoes, diced and undrained
- 19 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed, chopped
- 3 cups herbed croutons (or your choice flavor)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron (different tasting soup without it)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat large non-stick skillet. Remove from heat and spray with cooking oil.
- Return to medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, cooking until onion is soft. Don't let garlic burn!
- Add croutons and cook until golden, tossing gently.
- Remove from heat.
- Put broth into large pot and heat slowly.
- Into blender, place 1/2 of croutons and 1/2 cup tomatoes. Pulse until coarsely ground and add to broth. Repeat with remaining croutons and 1/2 cup tomatoes.
- Add rest of tomatoes, spinach, chickpeas and saffron. Cook, stirring occasionally until heated through.