Happy Harry #2's Note:
This is my twist on a peasant-style soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups canned tomatoes, diced and undrained
- 19 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed, chopped
- 3 cups herbed croutons (or your choice flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron (different tasting soup without it)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Heat large non-stick skillet. Remove from heat and spray with cooking oil.
- 2Return to medium heat.
- 3Add onion and garlic, cooking until onion is soft. Don't let garlic burn!
- 4Add croutons and cook until golden, tossing gently.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6Put broth into large pot and heat slowly.
- 7Into blender, place 1/2 of croutons and 1/2 cup tomatoes. Pulse until coarsely ground and add to broth. Repeat with remaining croutons and 1/2 cup tomatoes.
- 8Add rest of tomatoes, spinach, chickpeas and saffron. Cook, stirring occasionally until heated through.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Bread Soup
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.2
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 2.1 mg
- Sodium 1029.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth