Prep 8 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
From Southern Living1984 Cookbook
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried black beans
- 3 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 5 cups water
- 1 lb meaty ham hock
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- cooked rice (optional)
- Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water 2 inches above beans; let soak overnight.
- Saute green peppers, onion and garlic in olive oil in a skillet until tender. Drain beans; stir in vegetables and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham hock and bay leaves from beans; scrape meat from bone. Add meat and vinegar to beans; stir well. Serve over rice, if desired.
Absolutely delicious flavor, and I'm sure the flavors' melding will be great overnight. We'll use the rest over rice; tonight, we just had them as a "cup-a-beans" so that we could taste them. I wasn't sure how much liquid I was supposed to have left; it seemed like too much for me, so I boiled it down some. ZWT8