Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Canned beans help to short cut the cooking process and turns out wonderfully in this filling soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh onions (about 2 medium yellow onions) or 2 cups frozen onions (about 2 medium yellow onions)
- 1 cup frozen bell pepper, stir-fry mix (red, green, and yellow peppers, do not thaw )
- 1⁄3 cup Spanish ham or 1⁄3 cup prosciutto, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large whole bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 (1 lb) cans black beans, with their liquid
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- ground black pepper
- 3 cups leftover cooked rice, reheated
- 2 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- Heat oil in large sauce pan over high heat about 2 minutes.
- Add onion, stir fry mix, ham, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, and coriander.
- Stir well to coat, reduce heat to medium, cover and allow tastes to mingle for about 10 minutes Add beans and liquid, broth, and sherry; adjust heat so soup bubbles slightly, cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and season to taste with salt and pepper To serve, mound 1/2 cup rice in each of heated large soup plates.
- Ladle in soup, then top with scattering of hard-cooked egg and parsley.