1/1 Photo of Spanish Beef Stew
4 hrs 45 mins
Missy Merrill's Note:
This is a favorite recipe of mine that I found in a copy of Good Houskeeping in 1997. Unlike most stews, this begins with a whole piece of meat, which is shredded after cooking. Great with fresh bread!!
My Private Note
Main Di ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 lbs beef flank steak
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 1 green pepper, cut into stirps
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 serrano peppers or 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded & minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1Cut steak into thirds.
- 2In a Dutch oven, heat steak, chopped onion, carrot, bay leaf, 1 tsp.
- 3Salt and 5 cups water to boiling over high heat.
- 4Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 3 hours, until meat is very tender.
- 5Remove from heat, remove cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- 6(Or, cover and refrigerate overnight.) In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 7Add slice onion, peppers, and remaining 1 tsp.
- 8Salt cook, stirring often, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 9Stir in garlic, chiles, and cinnamon and cook 30 seconds.
- 10Stir in tomatoes with juice; cook 5 minutes.
- 11Remove beef to bowl; strain broth.
- 12Reserve 2 cups broth.
- 13(Save remaining broth for another day) With 2 forks, shred beef into fine strips.
- 14Stir reserved broth and shredded meat into pepper mixture and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.2
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 107.1 mg
- Sodium 860.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 38.4 g