Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
My favorite teacher, Mrs Brown taught me how to make this in 8th grade Home Ec. That was over 40 yrs ago and I still make it the same way! Great as a side dish or teamed up with corn bread & a salad for a full meal. A wonderful filling for Stuffed Green Peppers.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 lb lean hamburger
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced green pepper
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 ounces tomato sauce (your preference) or 8 ounces water (your preference)
- 1 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 cups Minute Rice
- In large fry pan or electric skillet:.
- Brown first four ingredients until meat is cooked thoroughly. Stir in sauce, water and rice. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Great variations:.
- Diced green chilies.
- Hot sauce to taste.
- Jalapeño peppers.
- Whole kernel corn.
- Great reheated by placing cold rice in skillet, add a small amount of water and 'fry' until crisp & hot.
Easy comfort food. I cooked the bacon first & drained the oil before adding the meat. I added a clove of garlic & 1/2 cup of celery with the other veggies, as well as 1 t of mexican oregano, salt, and pepper when adding the tomato sauce. I also subbed instant brown rice. The result was an enjoyable meal using pantry staples. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Made for Spring 2010 Pick A Chef.
No need to tweak this recipe!!!! It is (PERFECT) as is.....Did not do one thing different to it, I just Ate it And ENJOYED It!! Great Recipe!!! Thanks,Darlene
What a wonderful "simple and quick" supper. Everyone had seconds so there was not anything leftover for lunch tomorrow. Thank you for submitting the recipe.