Recipe by Semra22
I got this recipe out of an Uncle Ben's Rice cookbook about 17 years ago, and it's always been one of my kids' favorites. Very inexpensive and easy to make. I like this because it's got a lighter and tangier flavour than most Spanish rice recipes and the fresh tomatoes make it wonderful.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup uncle ben's brand converted rice (or converted rice of your choice)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomato juice (I always just mix equal amounts of tomato sauce and water)
- 1⁄4 cup good quality red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, brown the beef and drain.
- Add the rice, onion, garlic, tomato juice, vinegar, salt, pepper and Tabasco, stir well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover tightly.
- Simmer for 20 - 30 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Remove from heat, stir in the fresh green pepper and tomato, cover and heat for 5 minutes or till the green pepper is tender-crisp.