Recipe by Sherri Dodsworth
Based on a great soup served by the Columbia restaurant in Tampa, this firey soup cooks up quick when you're craving something spicy and hot.
Top Review by JustJanS
This is a great soup, and would be worth an extra star if the ingredients list was a bit more specific. I had to guess the broth and garbanzo can sizes. I went with 500ml cartons of each of the broth and 440g cans of the garbanzo beans, and as I have never seen canned sliced potatoes, I went with 4 medium fresh ones. Apart from that, this was a wonderful soup you could easily make a complete meal of with slabs of crusty bread and butter.
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) cansliced potatoes, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch saffron
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium stock pot, heat bacon grease over medium heat.
- Cook onion and garlic until soft, being careful not to brown.
- Crumble chorizo and heat until well cooked.
- Drain grease and return pan to heat.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.