Recipe by dawnie2u
I based this recipe on a black bean recipe posted by Diana/NYC that uses a "sofrito" made with Spanish olive oil. It would be good with some black beans and corn added to it also. Try and find Spanish olive oil, it adds so much flavor to this healthy fiber filled dish.
- 1⁄4 cup Spanish olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice (raw)
- 1 1⁄2 cups pearl barley (raw)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 orange bell pepper (chopped)
- 4 green onions (sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 17 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 3 large knorr chicken bouillon cubes
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil until hot in a large Dutch oven.
- Turn heat down to medium.
- Add onions, all the peppers, and celery and saute until soft.
- Add garlic and saute for 3 minutes more.
- Add barley and brown rice and saute for 5-10 minutes or until the grains smell fragrant.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for approximately 45 minutes, stirring once in awhile.