Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Moist and tasty spice cake. Reminds me of the ones A&P grocery stores made when I was a child :)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 cups applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup raisins
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Mix first 8 ingredients together in an electric mixer; mix well.
- Add next 3 ingredients.
- Raisins should be added last.
- Bake at 350°F in 9x13 inch pan for 30-35 minutes; tube pan 40-45 minutes.
- Cool thoroughly and frost if desired.
- For Frosting:Combine frosting ingredients in bowl.
- Beat well, adding more milk or confectioners' sugar to make it smooth and easy to spread.
so very good, got milk
Delicious! Perfect. The cake is quite enough on its own and can easily do without the icing, it's that rich and moist. I'll be making this Spanish Bar often just to have it available for unexpected guests. On special occasions I'll make the icing which is just too delicious.
Well I must be a dummy. I'm certainly no baker but there's no directions AFTER u add the raisins??? Just add the raisins n bake,.. Don't u have to stir or beat it again? N for how long? I used my own judgement and beat it about 1-1/2 mins. It's in the oven n I'm praying! Will report back. puzzler