Recipe by COOKGIRl
I added the manchego cheese. I couldn't help it. If you cannot find good quality fresh asparagus I suggest Trader Joe's frozen asparagus tips for this recipe. Use the best olive oil you can find (most expensive doesn't always indicate the best quality). From Vegetarian: Best Ever Recipe Collection.
Top Review by LifeIsGood
What a fun, different and delicious salad. I love the salad dressing combination and will be using that often. The salad ingredients were wonderful, too. I enjoyed having the asparagus right on top of the salad (I cut mine up a bit). Made for ZWT8 Spain. Thanks!
- 1 cup fresh asparagus spear (or use equivalent amount of frozen asparagus spears, thawed to room temperature)
- 2 medium oranges
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, sliced and cut into crescents
- 2 tomatoes, ripe but firm, cut into eighths
- 3 cups romaine leaves, chopped into narrow strips
- 2 ounces manchego cheese, for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon reserved orange juice
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot of lightly salted boiling water blanch the asparagus spears until green, about 2-3 minutes but no longer. Immediately drain and rinse with cold water to halt the cooking process.
- Peel the oranges and cut up into bite-size segments. Save one half of one orange for juicing and zesting.
- In a non-reactive small bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, orange zest and 1 tablespoon of orange juice. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl combine the cooked asparagus, red onion, orange segments, tomatoes, and lettuce. Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and mix gently to coat.
- Add shaved manchego to each salad serving if desired.
- Serve with crusty bread.