Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I am publishing a series of recipes that use items from your pantry. These recipes are good for emergency survival, camping, job loss and other situations where surviving off staples may be needed. Most of these are also good as a quick dinner when you dont feel like cooking. Since these recipes require canned or packaged goods they may not be as good as if you use fresh - but feel free to substitute fresh for packaged.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa, divided
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained (whole beans, not refried)
- 1 (12 ounce) can chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup water (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- If your corn and salsa are really juicy omit the water.
- Mix cream of chicken soup and 1/2 of the salsa together.
- Mix the cheese soup and half the salsa together.
- Place ingredients in casserole dish in the following order; rice, water, corn, cream of chicken/salsa mixture, beans, chicken breast, and cheese soup/salsa mixture.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes.
- Uncover and cook another 15-20 minutes.
I would like to try this, but need to know if the 1 C of rice is cooked or uncooked. I'm thinking uncooked due to the time in the oven...but I've been wrong before (not that I let my husband know that...) Please advise. Thanks!