Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
A simple Greek side dish, a nice change from basic rice. Using chicken broth in place of the water adds extra flavor.
- 1 cup rice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups boiling water or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- Saute rice and onion in olive oil , stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Add boiling water and salt; simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash spinach well then cut into 1/2" strips (you can roll a group of leaves together and cut into strips).
- After rice has simmered for 10 minutes add spinach and mix well, cover and continue to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Delicious! I tweaked the original recipe though. I used about 7 ounces of fresh spinach leaves, 1 big garlic clove (same as 2 normal size clove). In stead of 1/3 cup of oil, I used 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp butter (could probably reduce to 1 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp butter even). I dissolved 3 cubes of chicken bouillon in the 2 cups of hot water before adding it to the rice. Probably because my heat was too high, the rice absorbed all the liquid and was done before I supposed to add the spinach.I fixed this by adding 1/2 cup hot water with the spinach to the rice (I also added salt at this stage, not earlier. I added only 1/4 tsp because the chicken stock was salty enough). My rice was old so it can absorb more water without being too soggy.
A lot can be done with this recipe and nothing will go wrong. I imagine adding some cooked meat, mushroom or even lemon zest for a change in flavor will be quite nice too!
This is a great side dish. I should have use a bigger saucepan. I used a 3 QT and it was hard to combine all the spinach. There was something missing. I used chicken broth. Maybe some spices (oregano) would be great. Thanks Momaphet :) Made for the Zwizzle Chicks of ZWT
This is really good. I did add a clove of garlic as well. I used homemade chicken stock rather than just water which is something I would definitely recommend. I served this with Greek Lemon Chicken Kabobs With Mint Marinade. I can see this being good as a bed of rice for fish dishes too. I will make this again.