Delicious, traditional Greek dish. Serves 8 as a first course and 4as a light meal
Make and share this Spanakopita, Spinach Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 10 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 lbs spinach, washed,stems cut off and coarsely chopped,placed in a pan,damp
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dill or 2 teaspoons fennel, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup dry curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumpled
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt & pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat the washed spinach, do not add water the moisture from washing the spinach is enough.
- Saute until just wilted 3-5 minutes,remove from pan set aside.
- Fry onion in the oil for 10 minutes, add green onion and fry a further 5 minutes In a large bowl mix onions& spinach, add parsley, dill or fennel, nutmeg, cheeses and eggs.
- Stir to combine and check taste for the amount of salt& pepper you want.
- Brush a 12x10" baking dish with butter and line with a sheet of fillo.
- Brush sheet with butter and place in another sheet of fillo continue to brush each sheet until you have 5 layers.
- Pour in the spinach mixture and top with remaining 5 sheets of fillo buttering each sheet.
- Brush top layer with butter and score it with a very sharp knife or a razor blade in serving size squares.
- Sprinkle with water to keep the fillo from curling.
- Bake in 350f oven for about 45 minute, or until it has puffed and is golden.
- allow to sit for 5 minutes and serve.
this was soo good! i have made other recipes like this but never with the parm cheese it really adds great flavor! thanks bergy!!
excellent. i layered about 7 sheets on bottom and about 10 on top. the more phyllo the better. i added garlic to the onions. and didnt have any cottage curd so i used a cup and a half of feta.
i strained the spinach after i cooked it.
bf said it was the best he has had and he is greek!
YAY!!! I loved this...so much better than the spinach pie you get at the dinner, lighter and crispier...the fresh spinach really makes a big difference!! My first time working with phyllo pastry and a great introduction - so straight forward and what I had thought was going to be difficult was quite easy...AND YUMMY :) The only thing I did other than stated was to add fresh chopped garlic (a MUST in most recipes in my house...) ...it is hearty, healthy and filling... also wonderful toasted up (rewarmed) as leftovers...this brought me back to my days just after college when my landlady owned a Greek Restaurant and brought me over her dishes occasionally -(usually as a bribe of some sort...after my apartment had flooded or something (LOL)...food ='s love :) ) I am so happy to be able to make something so good myself now - THANKS Bergy