1/5 Photos of Spanakopita, Spinach Pie
1 hr 20 mins
Delicious, traditional Greek dish. Serves 8 as a first course and 4as a light meal
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 lbs spinach, washed,stems cut off and coarsely chopped,placed in a pan,damp
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dill or 2 teaspoons fennel, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dry curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumpled
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt & pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1Heat the washed spinach, do not add water the moisture from washing the spinach is enough.
- 2Saute until just wilted 3-5 minutes,remove from pan set aside.
- 3Fry onion in the oil for 10 minutes, add green onion and fry a further 5 minutes In a large bowl mix onions& spinach, add parsley, dill or fennel, nutmeg, cheeses and eggs.
- 4Stir to combine and check taste for the amount of salt& pepper you want.
- 5Brush a 12x10" baking dish with butter and line with a sheet of fillo.
- 6Brush sheet with butter and place in another sheet of fillo continue to brush each sheet until you have 5 layers.
- 7Pour in the spinach mixture and top with remaining 5 sheets of fillo buttering each sheet.
- 8Brush top layer with butter and score it with a very sharp knife or a razor blade in serving size squares.
- 9Sprinkle with water to keep the fillo from curling.
- 10Bake in 350f oven for about 45 minute, or until it has puffed and is golden.
- 11allow to sit for 5 minutes and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanakopita, Spinach Pie
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.7
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 148.7 mg
- Sodium 563.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 14.0 g