1 hr 5 mins
This is my mother's recipe that she makes every year for Christmas Eve. It's very rich and takes some time, but it is so worth it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (or 6 cups fresh, steamed)
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 margarine or 1/2 butter, melted
- 8 ounces packages filo pastry, thawed
- 1Mix spinach, feta, cottage cheese, onion, parsley, dill and salt.
- 2Add beaten agges and combine well.
- 3Brush bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish with the softened butter.
- 4Unfold the filo leaves and cut in half, crosswise.
- 5Wrap and refreeze one half of the filo.
- 6Cover the other half of the filo with a damp towel.
- 7Gently separate one filo leaf from the stack.
- 8Place it in the baking dish and fold over the edges to fit the bottom of the dish.
- 9Brush the entire surface of the filo lightly with melted butter.
- 10Repeat steps 7-9 until you have used half of the filo leaves.
- 11Preheat the oven to 350.
- 12Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the filo in the dish.
- 13Layer the remaining filo over the spinach mixture in the same manner as the first half of the filo.
- 14Cut through the top layers of the filo leaves with a sharp knife, making a diamond pattern (this will make it easier to cut the spanakopita later).
- 15Cook uncovered until golden, about 35 minutes.
- 16Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanakopita (Spinach and Cheese Pie)
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 306.9
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 138.1 mg
- Sodium 961.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: