Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is my mother's recipe that she makes every year for Christmas Eve. It's very rich and takes some time, but it is so worth it!
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (or 6 cups fresh, steamed)
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1⁄2 margarine or 1⁄2 butter, melted
- 8 ounces packages filo pastry, thawed
- Mix spinach, feta, cottage cheese, onion, parsley, dill and salt.
- Add beaten agges and combine well.
- Brush bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish with the softened butter.
- Unfold the filo leaves and cut in half, crosswise.
- Wrap and refreeze one half of the filo.
- Cover the other half of the filo with a damp towel.
- Gently separate one filo leaf from the stack.
- Place it in the baking dish and fold over the edges to fit the bottom of the dish.
- Brush the entire surface of the filo lightly with melted butter.
- Repeat steps 7-9 until you have used half of the filo leaves.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the filo in the dish.
- Layer the remaining filo over the spinach mixture in the same manner as the first half of the filo.
- Cut through the top layers of the filo leaves with a sharp knife, making a diamond pattern (this will make it easier to cut the spanakopita later).
- Cook uncovered until golden, about 35 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
This was my first attempt at spanakopita and I was pleased with the results. I omitted the onion because I don't care for it, and instead added garlic and pepper. Next time, I would add more feta, and I did a cup this time. So, maybe 1 1/2 cups feta and 1/2 cup cottage cheese. Thanks for a great recipe! We will enjoy this again.
I made this recipe as posted, except I used a smaller dish. I really enjoyed it, not sure my DH was quite as thrilled (heâ€™s not a spinach lover). Too bad for him, more for me!
I brought it to a holiday gathering and EVERYONE asked me for the recipe! WE LOVED IT! I used gorgonzola cheese as well instead of feta cheese.