Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 3 lbs spinach
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dill, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 5 eggs
- 3⁄4 lb phyllo pastry
- butter, Melted, as needed
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- Wash spinach in plenty of water and cut in small pieces; place in bowl.
- Salt lightly; stir to spread salt evenly.
- Take spinach, a handful at a time; squeeze out the excess water; place it in another bowl.
- Saute the onion in half the butter until it is a light, golden color.
- Add the scallions and cook until they wilt.
- Add spinach; stir until all vegetables take on a light color.
- Stir in the dill, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Cover the pot and cook until all the water from the spinach is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat; turn into a bowl, and immediately add the evaporated milk (to cool the spinach).
- Beat the eggs in another bowl and add the cheese to them; add to the cooled spinach; mix well.
- Line a pan with 8 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with the melted butter before topping it with the next sheet. Do not trim the overhanging sections.
- Pour in the spinach mixture, spreading it evenly over the phyllo.
- Fold the part of the phyllo that extends out of the back of the pan over the filling.
- Lay the remaining phyllo on top, again brushing each sheet with melted butter before adding the next. Trim the overlap.
- Brush additional melted butter on top of the pie.
- Score it into square or diamond-shaped serving pieces.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes in a preheated 300 degree Fahrenheit oven.
- Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.
- NOTE: This can also be made without precooking the spinach. In that case, squeeze the spinach free of as much water as possible, mix it with the seasonings, and proceed as above, baking it for 1 hour.
This is delish! My Aunt used to make this...thanks for adding it to Zaar!