Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This has got to be the best one I've come up with. Always a treat on Christmas or New Years Eve ( or anytime you want to impress your guests! ) The toasted pine nuts add an unexpected crunch and a wonderful flavour addition. Definitely not diet food! A bit time consuming but worth it.
- 10 ounces thawed and drained frozen chopped spinach
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese
- 125 g Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon mint
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 1 cup melted unsalted butter
- To make the filling:.
- Make sure to thaw phyllo the night before in the fridge!
- Thaw and drain spinach, squeezing with your hands to get most of the liquid out. You can use fresh if you prefer ( just steam, drain & chop ) Toast pine nuts in small pan until light golden brown, set aside. Add green onions & garlic to same pan and fry in a bit of olive oil until soft. Add garlic last so it doesn't burn.
- Add spinach, cooled green onions & garlic cream cheese, feta,(mash these two cheeses together if you wish) pine nuts,cottage cheese, egg yolks, nutmeg, dill, mint, oregano and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into spinach mixture'.
- Melt butter.
- To assemble:.
- Keep phyllo covered with a damp tea towel at all times!
- Take one sheet and using a pasty brush, cover with melted butter. Top with another sheet of phyllo and cover that with butter. Using your hands to spread the butter is messy but makes the process go much faster.
- Working quickly, use a pizza cutter and cut into four long strips.
- Starting at the end close to you, add a tablespoons of filling and fold over, fold over sides then roll up tightly, tucking sides in as you go. You might need to use some melted butter for 'glue'.
- Don't worry if it tears, just patch with butter and keep rolling.
- Place on rimmed ungreased or parchment lined baking sheet, seam side down. Brush with more butter and pierce each one with a sharp knife two or three times.
- Bake in the center of a 350* oven for 20 minutes or until crisp and golden. Let cool on racks.
- These are a great make ahead appetizer- freeze and reheat as many as you need. You may need another package of phyllo depending on how much filling you use or make mini tarts with the leftover filling.
- I like to mash the feta and cream cheese together so they are nicely mixed together.
- You can forget the fussy rolls and use the filling to make a traditional Spanakopita pie.