Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Courtesy of Christine Cushing Live. A neat recipe, that I actually managed to make. Go to this website to see how to fold: http://lldzines.com/spanakopita/folded.htm
- 1 cup fresh spinach (leaves only and well packed)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 4 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs, beaten
- salt, to taste
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter (melted)
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F & wash spinach and place in boiling salted water for about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Squeeze out all excess moisture and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add onion, spinach and dill. Cook on high for 3 minutes until onions soften. Remove and cool. Combine the cooled spinach mixture with feta, eggs and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Work with ONE sheet of phyllo at a time. Cut each sheet of phyllo into 5 long, equal strips. Brush one strip with melted butter. Cover with a second strip and butter again. Lay strip down vertically in front of you. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of filling in bottom corner of strip. Fold over in half diagonally creating a triangle. Continue folding over into triangular shape until you reach end of strip. Repeat with remaining strips. Brush tops with a little more butter. Place triangles on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes until golden.
THE BEST Spanakopita recipe we've ever had! Made a batch up and had friends over - everyones was so impressed.<br/>Don't omit anything - the dill and nutmeg may just be the secret(!) <br/>I found not near enough spinach (perhaps I didn't pack down as much as I should have) but I ended up doubling the amount of spinach. <br/>Thanks for a great recipe Christine!!
We love Greek food at my house, so this was a sure winner with us! I followed the directions and the instructions were easy to follow to get it into the oven. We will have this more than once. Guaranteed!
I just LOVE Spanakopita, and this was a great recipe for it. Terrifically easy-to-follow instructions, and a scrumptious end result. Like katie, I added garlic, and made this as a single pie. But individual pies would be great if elegance of presentation was important, when serving to dinner guests, for example. I'm glad to have added this recipe to my many recipes for Spanakopita. It had just the right balance of flavours. Thanks for sharing!