Recipe by Mercy
This is my casserole version of the Greek spinach pie that is traditionally served at weddings. I like it hot, cold or at room temperature...mmmmm!
Top Review by mommy_cooks_01
I make this recipe exactly as it's written and it's absolutely delicious. Have been making it for years now and everyone who has ever tried it has thoroughly enjoyed it. My husband is a big fan of spanakopita but until I made this recipe I had never tried it and am so glad he turned me on to it. Served with a Greek salad and a crusty loaf of bread this is wonderful!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 12 sheets phyllo dough, defrosted
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the onions in the microwave until translucent (about two minutes on high).
- Blend the onions, spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg, feta cheese, egg and ricotta cheese together in a mixing bowl.
- Mix the melted butter with the olive oil.
- Using a pastry brush, oil the bottom and sides of a rectangle (9"x13") casserole dish.
- Note: The phyllo sheets dry out immediately, so keep the unused portions covered with a kitchen towel (to keep the air out) until you are ready to use them; There is no need to be careful placing the sheets in the baking dish; Rips, folds and creases are absolutely acceptable and are completely unnoticeable in the final product.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on the bottom of the dish and paint it with the oil mixture.
- Repeat with the process, stacking a total of eight phyllo sheets and oiling between each layer.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the top of the eighth layer.
- Place one sheet of phyllo over the spinach mixture and paint it with the oil mixture.
- Repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets.
- Oil the top layer and any exposed edges and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for about 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- This is great served warm or at room temperature.