Recipe by COOKGIRl
A cold soup with lots of fresh ingredients. I like to sprinkle broken up Asian crackers on top just for fun! Add an ice cube to each serving to keep extra chilled. Modified from 101 Meatless Family Recipes' cookbook.
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 yellow zucchini, peeled and diced
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup daikon radish, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup leek, finely chopped and rinsed well
- 1⁄2 cup button mushroom, diced small
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped small
- 2 tablespoons shoyu
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or 1/2 red jalapeno pepper, finely minced-depends on how much spice you want)
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar (regular or seasoned)
- 2 teaspoons regular sesame oil
- 2 cups fresh vegetable broth, chilled
- 1 cup V8 vegetable juice (or similar) or 1 cup tomato juice, chilled (or similar)
- 1 cup asian cracker (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large serving bowl, combine the cucumber, zucchini, red pepper, daikon, leeks, mushrooms, and fresh cilantro. Set aside.
- In a bowl stir together, the red pepper flakes (or red jalapeno), rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Stir in the broth and tomato juice and mix well.
- Chill the soup at least 1 hour but up to 2 hours.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls, add an ice cube and sprinkle with Asian crackers if desired.