Prep 3 mins
Cook 7 mins
A simple, fast meal. Good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. So easy, so quick, shameless comfort food.
- Dice the Spam into cubes.
- Dice the onions.
- Open the can of hominy and drain off any liquid.
- Get a skillet out and fry the spam cubes until they start to brown a bit and some fat is released. Stir occasionally.
- Add the diced onion and a bit of butter if so desired. The butter makes the onions fry up better. Stir occasionally.
- Once the onions obtain a nice looking texture, typically a few minutes, add in the drained hominy. Stir it all for a couple of minutes, to warm up the hominy.
- Serve and eat.
Made for Fall Pick a Chef 2011 and the only thing I did different was to add a little minced garlic (love garlic) and like Chef shapeweaver@ I topped with sliced green onions for color. The hominy I had was white (would have been prettier with yellow). DH loved it...I liked it and would eat it again but I would like it served with some eggs or a salad. (My fault) Will probably make it again sometime. Thank you for posting.
This was a decent dish, but nothing spectacular, in my opinion. This marked the first time I'd ever cooked with hominy (I used a can of "Golden Hominy" - is there any other type, I wonder?) I skipped the optional butter (and 1 teaspoon is an unusual amount of butter, too), but otherwise made the recipe exactly as written. I used a medium yellow onion, and cooked everything on medium heat (I think maybe it should've been a little higher, as I didn't quite get the Spam cubes to brown a little). The recipe has no added spices, but the Spam already adds enough. I split the 4 servings across three meals (dinner, lunch and a late breakfast). The taste is pretty good, and the whole recipe is pretty quick and easy, so I'll bump my rating up to 4 stars for that.
I made this for breakfast yesterday and it was fantastic. Great mix of flavors. I served scrambled eggs on the side. Thanks for posting !