Recipe by SusieQusie
This was the heavy hitter at the State Fair of Texas Spam cook-off last year. It seems that not a lot of folks will admit to eating Spam but there are apparently enough of us to warrant a cook-off. ;-) But then, Texans will do most anything if competition is involved.
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend, divided use
- 1 (14 ounce) can Spam, sliced into 1/2 chunks
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, in oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 3 dozen uniform mushrooms, about 1 1/2 in diameter
- 20 sheets phyllo pastry, one box of frozen dough, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In the bowl of a food processor or mixer, combine ½ cup of the cheese, Spam chunks and sun-dried tomatoes. Pulse or mix until nearly smooth. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in the remainder of the cheese and the red onion.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms. With a small spoon, scrape out inside of each mushroom to make the cavity bigger.
- Stuff each mushroom with about 1 teaspoon of the Spam mixture. Be careful not to overstuff.
- Carefully lay 4 sheets of phyllo dough on top of one another, brushing every other one with melted butter.
- Cut phyllo lengthwise down the center, then cut each half into 3 pieces to make 6 rectangles.
- Place a mushroom, Spam side up, in the center of each square. Lift the sides of the pastry up over mushrooms to resemble small bundles. Form a neck by pinching the edges together to seal. Repeat same process with the rest of the mushrooms.
- Place bundles on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Mix the egg with water to make a wash & lightly brush pastry.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.