This was the heavy hitter at the State Fair of Texas Spam cook-off last year. It seems that not a lot of folks will admit to eating Spam but there are apparently enough of us to warrant a cook-off. ;-) But then, Texans will do most anything if competition is involved.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend, divided use
- 1 (14 ounce) can Spam, sliced into 1/2 chunks
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomato, in oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 3 dozen uniform mushrooms, about 1 1/2 in diameter
- 20 sheets phyllo pastry, one box of frozen dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2In the bowl of a food processor or mixer, combine ½ cup of the cheese, Spam chunks and sun-dried tomatoes. Pulse or mix until nearly smooth. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in the remainder of the cheese and the red onion.
- 3Remove the stems from the mushrooms. With a small spoon, scrape out inside of each mushroom to make the cavity bigger.
- 4Stuff each mushroom with about 1 teaspoon of the Spam mixture. Be careful not to overstuff.
- 5Carefully lay 4 sheets of phyllo dough on top of one another, brushing every other one with melted butter.
- 6Cut phyllo lengthwise down the center, then cut each half into 3 pieces to make 6 rectangles.
- 7Place a mushroom, Spam side up, in the center of each square. Lift the sides of the pastry up over mushrooms to resemble small bundles. Form a neck by pinching the edges together to seal. Repeat same process with the rest of the mushrooms.
- 8Place bundles on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 9Mix the egg with water to make a wash & lightly brush pastry.
- 10Bake for about 15 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spam’shrooms En Croute
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.5
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 40.5 mg
- Sodium 473.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Italian cheese blend