Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my son J.J.'s favortie meal. If I use red potatoes I use about 9 since they are small. This is so rich and creamy. It's like Au Gratin potatoes.
- 1 (12 ounce) can Spam, classic
- 5 medium potatoes, sliced (very thin)
- 1 mild red onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) jar Cheez Whiz
- 10 1⁄2 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- salt and pepper, & season salt taste
- Slice potatoes into round slices, very thin.
- Chop onion and spam into small chunks and combine with potatoes. Salt and pepper these.
- Place potatoes & onions in a casserole dish.
- Mix Cheze-Whiz, soup, milk and Season All or Season Salt, in sauce pan and heat until chez-whiz is melted.
- Pour over the potatoes and spam.
- Bake for 1 hour at 375 degrees, maybe longer until potatoes are tender.
I made this recipe on 7/8/12 for the " Circus " Event in the Food Photo Forum. Except for using sweet white onion and Broccoli & Cheese Soup the recipe was made as it was written. And OMGoodness !!!! it was so,so SALTY. Even my salt loving SO said it was almost too salty for him.I don't think subbing the soup would have made that much of a difference. I think if I make this again, I'm going to use low sodium items and see if that will help on reducing the saltiness of this recipe.
I've been making a variation of this for years, and it's so good. My mother used to make her scalloped potatoes with spam instead of ham, so I grew up loving spam. I make this version, sometimes w/o the mushroom soup,(I'll make a white sauce) if I don't have any, and I don't use cheese whiz, just slices of velveeta, or, grated cheddar cheese, depending on what I have on hand. This recipe, as written, is very rich, but yummy comfort food