Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this recipe on the net. Serve with macaroni salad to make it a Hawaii dish! Enjoy!
Make and share this Spam Musubi recipe from Food.com.
- Open SPAM can and remove SPAM, set aside. Open both ends of can and wash thoroughly.
- Cut SPAM into 10 slices and fry until crispy. Let drain.
- In another pan, combine Soy Sauce, Mirin, and Sugar. Bring to boil over medium-high heat and then reduce to low.
- Add the SPAM slices to the pan and make sure they are coated in the sauce. Simmer on low until sauce thickens and then remove SPAM.
- Lay the sheet of Nori on a clean surface. Place the clean SPAM can on the lower third of the Nori. Fill the mold (the SPAM can) with rice and press flat until the rice is 3/4" high.
- Sprinkle rice with Furikaki and the top with a piece of the SPAM.
- Remove the mold and place it in a bowl of water to keep it clean.
- Fold the Nori over the SPAM and Sushi Rice and roll until it is completely wrapped. Moisten the end of the Nori to seal.
- Repeat this for the rest of the SPAM slices.
kids enjoyed this very much. just like how i remember it..thank you!
I used to make this a few times a year when I lived in Hawaii and it was my favorite snack at the movies. I still had my musubi maker (9 years later!) and the family keeps asking me to make them because I rave about them. But it's hard. I worry they will not like them! *laugh* So, this Christmas, I made them and they are sitting on the table in there waiting to go. I put two strips of nori over them and cut them in half. My son liked it, and I must say they were absolutely wonderful! Just like I remember. I did forget to buy furikake, but they were still amazing. Thank you for sharing this recipe. It brings back so many smiles. Edit: Wow - the family loved them too... I came home with an empty dish! Yay!