Recipe by Julala
A yummy, yet so simple recipe that's great for a snack or even as an appetizer for a casual party.
Top Review by Crystal Rose
My fiance is from Hawaii and he grew up eating Spam Musubi all the time. I've never eaten Spam before but I love sushi, so I thought I would give it a shot. It was so YUMMY! We couldn't find bonito or furikake, but we did get a nice bottle of sake to use for rice wine (and heated up the rest to serve with dinner!). We used the sweet sauce to dip them in and he said it was a good way to eat it (he never dipped them before). Next time I will make 2 Spam cans full of rice and cut each into 4 pieces so it is thicker. I will make often at my fiance's request! Thanks!
- 12 ounces Spam
- 2 cups hot cooked white rice
- 1⁄4 cup bonito flakes (furikake is better)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Take the Spam out of the can and slice it into 8 slices. Wash the container and set aside for later use.
- In a skillet, heat the soy sauce, rice wine and sugar until the mixture bubbles. Turn the heat to low and pan fry the slices of Spam, turning often. Remove and let cool.
- Spread the hot rice about an inch thick. Sprinkle generously with the furikake until most of the surface is covered. Quickly stir the rice so that the furikake is distributed throughout. The warmer the rice, the easier this step is.
- Line the inside of the Spam can with plastic wrap. Using a small spoon, scoop the rice into the container, packing down firmly after each scoop. Let it chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Pull the rice out of the container by the plastic wrap, and slice it into 8 slices. This is easier to do if you dip the knife in water.
- Top each slice of rice with a slice of Spam.
- Cut the nori into 1/2 inch strips. Wrap around, making the ends meet at the bottom. Use a little bit of water to make the ends stick together.
- Note: to make these as appetizers, just cut each slice widthwise into four small pieces, and they are bite sized! Very cute!