Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another tribute to the unofficial State Lunch Meat of Hawaii. Gau gee and won tons can be frozen uncooked, then fried as you need them. From the Nu'uanu Congregational Church's 1985 Centennial Cookbook.
- 1 (12 ounce) can Spam, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon msg (optional)
- 1 (4 3/4 ounce) package wonton wrappers
- Mix all ingredients except wrapper. Place 1 teaspoon of this mixture on each wrapper; dampen edges with water and fold to seal.
- Deep fry in heated oil (350 to 375F.) until a light golden brown.
- Drain on paper and serve hot.