Recipe by Chef shapeweaver �
I saw the original recipe for this in the "America's Best Brand Name Recipes" cookbook. And I "tweaked" a couple of things in it to more suit my tastes. If desired serve with your favorite biscuit or cornbread recipe.If you don't like Spam©, just substitute the same amount of ham or other cooked meat. Submitted to "ZAAR" on September 24, 2007.
Top Review by mama smurf
Yummo! Made this for DH and I and cut the recipe in half (the rest of the Spam I will use for fried Spam sandwiches) and diced up some fresh potatoes (boiled a little) and followed the rest of the instructions. Both DH and I love Spam so this was a hit and one I will make again and again. Thank you for posting.
- 3⁄4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 (12 ounce) can Spam, diced into small cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large non stick skillet over medium heat, melt margarine and cook onion until softened.
- Add potatoes and cook until lightly browned.
- Then add spam and veggies, sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir occasionally until meat is slightly browned.
- Top with cheese if desired, and let set for 5 minutes.