Recipe by lynnski / LA
This is a great composed salad from Spago's Restaurant. It looks spectacular however it's easier to make than it looks. However, the sauces should be made in advance, they're simple but take time to marinate, especially the ponzu sauce which should steep overnight. The shiso leaves are available in Japanese stores or, substitute a lettuce leaf.
- 24 ounces salmon fillets (skin removed)
- 3 japanese cucumbers, cut in strips
- 1 1⁄3 avocados, peeled and cut in slices
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, cut in 1/4 -inch strips
- 1⁄2 cup pickled ginger (gari)
- 1 cup daikon sprouts
- 4 shiso leaves or 4 lettuce leaves
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 jalapeno, seeded and smashed
- 1 1⁄2 inches piece fresh ginger, smashed
- 2 green onions, trimmed and smashed
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dashi
MIRIN REDUCTION SAUCE
- 1 cup sake
- 1 cup mirin
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 1⁄4 inches piece gingerroot, peeled and smashed
Directions See How It's Made
- Since the Ponzu Sauce needs to steep overnight, start out making it first.
- For the ponzu sauce, mix all ingredients togrther in a bowl, steep in the frig overnight or at least several hour, strain and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- For the Mirin Reduction Sauce, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until reduced to one-half cup, about 30 minutes.
- Strain and cool.
- Salad and Assembly.
- Heat a grill or grill pan, place the salmon fillets on the grill and cook about 4 minutes.
- Turn over the fillets and brush with some of the mirin reduction sauce.
- Cook until just firm to touch, about 4 minutes.
- Drain the cucumber strips, pat dry, place them in a bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons ponzu sauce.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons ponzu sauce onto each of 4 plates.
- Place the cucumber, avocado slices, romaine, pickled ginger and sprouts clockwise around the plate so they touch in the middle of the plate.
- Place the shiso leaf in the middle of each plate where the ingredients meet.
- Place a fillet on the leaf, allowing the edge of the leaf to show.
- Drizzle the remaining ponzu sauce over the fish and salad ingredients, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.