I adopted this recipe in a whirlwind zaar adoption in September 2006. I haven't myself made it but I will update the description as soon as I do. Absolutely the best chocolate cake
My Private Note
9inch r ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1NOTE: Recipe has been printed in various places with 3/4 cups of oil.
- 2Cake is softer but tends to sink in middle.
- 3Note: cake can also be made in a bundt pan.
- 4Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 5Butter or coat with vegetable spray and line with parchment round one 9-inch round cake pan.
- 6Dust with flour, tapping out any excess flour.
- 7Set aside.
- 8Sift together 1 cup sugar, the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 9Set aside.
- 10In the large bowl of an electric mixer, with paddle or beaters, beat the egg yolks at hight speed.
- 11Turn speed to low and pour in the oil, water and vanilla.
- 12Gradually add the sifted ingredients, and when almost incorporated turn speed to medium and beat until well combined.
- 13Remove bowl from machine.
- 14In another clean large bowl, with whip or beaters, whip the 6 egg whites until soft peaks form.
- 15Start on medium speed and raise speed as peaks begin to form.
- 16Gradually pour in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and whip until whites are shiny and firm but not stiff.
- 17With a rubber spatula, fold 1/4 of the whites into the chocolate mixture, then scrape the chocolate mixture back into the whites, quickly folding until completely incorporated.
- 18Scrape into the prepared pan (Note: do not fill cake pans more than 2/3 full. If you have some batter leftover make cupcakes.) and bake until edges of the cake pull away from the pan and a tester, gently inserted into the center of the cake, comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- 19Cool on a rack.
- 20To remove, run a sharp knife around the inside of the pan to loosen cake.
- 21Invert onto rack.
- 22Place 9-inch cardboard round on cake and invert cake onto round.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spago's Chocolate Chiffon Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1002 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3072.3
- Calories from Fat 1251
- Total Fat 139.0 g
- Saturated Fat 25.7 g
- Cholesterol 846.0 mg
- Sodium 2974.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 435.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.8 g
- Sugars 303.7 g
- Protein 57.9 g