Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Appeared in huffingtonpost.com in an article on cooking with almonds. Sophisticated eating at its best!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beefsteak tomatoes, cored and finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves, finely shreddede
- 2 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, roasted and salted
- 3 large anchovies, oil packed
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed
- 1⁄2 cup pecorino romano cheese, such as Fiore di Sardo, fresh grated, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 lb spaghettini
- In a large bowl, combine the diced tomatoes with the shredded basil, scallions, olive oil and crushed red pepper. Season lightly with salt and black pepper and let the tomatoes stand for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mini food processor, pulse the almonds with the anchovies and garlic until finely chopped. Add the 1/2 cup of pecorino cheese and the capers and pulse to combine.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain the pasta, shaking off the excess water. Add the pasta to the tomatoes along with the chopped almond mixture and toss well. Serve the pasta, passing extra cheese at the table.