Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe by Wilma Pezzini from the Tuscan Cookbook makes a complimentary & spectacular side-dish for almost any main entree, but I think it would be esp good to accompany grilled meats when served w/salad & bread. *Enjoy* (Times have been estimated & do not include time to soak mushrooms)
- Soak the mushrooms in the whiskey for at least 1 hr (longer if possible).
- Melt butter in a saucepan. When bubbly, add chopped parsley & garlic. Cook for 1-2 min (no more or the garlic will burn).
- Drain mushrooms & reserve the whiskey.
- Cut mushrooms in sml pieces & add to the simmering parsley & garlic. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Allow the mushrooms to cook for 1-2 min & then add the reserved whiskey. Reduce heat & simmer uncovered till most of the whiskey has evaporated.
- Cook spaghettini al dente (cooked, but still firm). Drain well, but reserve 2 tbsp of the cooking liquid. Put spaghettini in a heated bowl w/the reserved cooking liquid.
- Add cream to mushroom mixture, stir to combine & allow just to heat through. Pour sauce over spaghettini & toss well. Sprinkle w/grated Parmesan as desired & serve immediately.
Yum ! the pasta fanatic didn't really rave but he was happy enough. I used Tullimore Dew whisky and soaked the onion and some yellow bell pepper. I checked that it was ok with the recipe owner before omiting the mushrooms, done because i'm allergic to the blighters. The only other change was that I added an extra clove of garlic due to our ethos that one clove all alone is a sin in this household. Please see my rating system: 4 lovely stars for a tasty recipe that went down well. Thanks!