Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Defineatly comfort food. A classic.
For the Meatballs
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 extra-large egg, beaten
- vegetable oil
- olive oil
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
- 50 g pancetta (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) candiced Italian-style tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs spaghettini, cooked according to package directions
- freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Place the ground meats, bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, salt, pepper, nutmeg, egg, and 3/4 cup warm water in a bowl. Combine very lightly using your hands, lightly form the mixture into 2-inch meatballs.
- Pour equal amounts of vegetable oil and olive oil into a large (12-inch) skillet to a depth of 1/4-inch. Heat the oil. place the meatballs, in batches, in the oil and brown them well on all sides over medium-low heat, turning carefully with a spatula or a fork. Remove the meatballs to a plate covered with paper towels to absorb the grease. Discard the oil but don't clean the pan.
- For the sauce, heat the olive oil in the same pan. Add the onion and diced pancetta and saute over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the wine and deglaze the pan on high heat, scraping up all the brown bits in the pan, until about 50 percent the liquid evaporate. Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, and seasonings.
- Return the meatballs to the sauce, cover, and simmer on the lowest heat for 25 to 30 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through. Serve hot on cooked spaghettini and sprinke with parmigiano-reggiano.