Recipe by Sharon123
A wonderful sauce full of veggies, this is sure to please! Adapted from Vegetarian Gourmet, Fall, 1995.
Top Review by White Rose Child
Well, this sure was a hit! The flavors are so complex and harmonious, yet this was simple to make. I subbed extra zucchini for the eggplant, and canned roma tomatoes. After using 1 tsp dried basil, I remembered the fresh basil in my fridge and added a Tbsp of that. I used 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar instead of wine. Finally, I reduced the salt to 1/8 tsp and didn't even find it needed any more. My dad, for one, would give it more than 5 stars. He said it was like restaurant food and wants to take it for a potluck. Thanks so much, Sharon! Made for Please Review tag.
- 59.14 ml sun-dried tomato
- 453.59 g whole wheat spaghetti (or regular)
- 118.29 ml onion, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml celery, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml carrot, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml zucchini, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml eggplant, peeled & seeded, finely chopped
- 7.39 ml garlic, minced
- 118.29 ml button mushroom, finely chopped
- 473.18 ml roma tomatoes, diced small
- 113.39 g tofu, firm, diced (1/2-inch cubes)
- 59.14 ml good quality red wine (optional)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml garlic, granulated
- 9.85 ml basil
- 4.92 ml rosemary
- 59.14 ml chopped parsley, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the sun-dried tomatoes in boiling water until soft, about 10 minutes. Dice & set aside.
- Cook spaghetti according to instructions(about 10 minutes), rinse, drain & set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Saute onion, celery, carrots & red bell pepper in skillet until the onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, then the zucchini, eggplant, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes and tofu. Add the wine, if using, and cook over a low heat until the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the spaghetti on a pretty serving platter, top with sauce & serve. Enjoy!