A wonderful sauce full of veggies, this is sure to please! Adapted from Vegetarian Gourmet, Fall, 1995.
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato
- 16 ounces whole wheat spaghetti (or regular)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup eggplant, peeled & seeded, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup button mushroom, finely chopped
- 2 cups roma tomatoes, diced small
- 1⁄4 lb tofu, firm, diced (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1⁄4 cup good quality red wine (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic, granulated
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley, to garnish
- Soak the sun-dried tomatoes in boiling water until soft, about 10 minutes. Dice & set aside.
- Cook spaghetti according to instructions(about 10 minutes), rinse, drain & set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Saute onion, celery, carrots & red bell pepper in skillet until the onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, then the zucchini, eggplant, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes and tofu. Add the wine, if using, and cook over a low heat until the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the spaghetti on a pretty serving platter, top with sauce & serve. Enjoy!