Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a very colourful and easy dish. For added colour you could also use tricolour spaghetti. I’m not sure what an Italian would make of this vegetarian version of carbonara sauce, but here at Blakey Towers it goes down a treat!
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 2 medium egg yolks
- 8 fluid ounces double cream
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese, divided
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 4 ounces asparagus tips
- 2 small courgettes, cut into quarters and pared into ribbons
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and sliced
- Following the packet instructions, begin cooking the spaghetti in a large pan of lightly salted water.
- Make the sauce by beating together the egg yolks, cream and half the parmesan, seasoning to taste.
- About 4 minutes before the end of the spaghetti cooking time add the carrots; just before the end of cooking time, add the asparagus and courgette ribbons.
- Drain the spaghetti and vegetables, then return to the pan over a low heat; pour in the sauce and heat gently, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened (do not overheat or the eggs will scramble); stir in the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Serve immediately with the remaining parmesan and extra black pepper.