Recipe by Chef Regina V. Smith
This recipe for Spaghetti con Tonno e Bietolini is from the December 1993 issue of Gourmet Magazine. It is one dish that is served on a menu for an Italian Christmas Eve Buffet.
- 1 lb swiss chard or 1 lb beet leaf, the leaves torn and the ribs cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus additional oil for drizzling over the pasta
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can tuna, packed in olive oil, drained and flaked lightly
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water cook the chard ribs for 7 minutes, add the leaves and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Drain the chard, rinse it under cold water to stop the cooking, and pat it dry between paper towels. Finely chop the chard. (The chard may be prepared 2 days in advance and kept chilled in a zip lock plastic bag.).
- In a heavy skillet cook the onion in 1/3 cup of the oil over moderately low heat, stirring until it is softened, add the chard, the parsley, and salt and pepper to taste, and cook the mixture, stirring for 5 minutes. Stir in the tuna and cook the mixture until the tuna has just heated through.
- In a kettle of salted boiling water cook the spaghetti until it is al dente, drain it well, and in a large bowl toss it with the tuna mixture, the wine vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle additional olive oil over the pasta just prior to service.
- Serves 12 as part of an Italian Christmas Eve Buffet Dinner.