Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a quick serve recipe that makes good use of tomatoes. It is from the Weekend magazine dated August 11th'06. Enjoy!
- coarse salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs beef steaks tomatoes or 2 lbs plum tomatoes, cored
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3⁄4 lb spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tablespoon basil
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Halve tomatoes lengthwise. Squeeze each tomato gently to remove the seeds and discard the seeds.
- Chop tomatoes into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Transfer to a bowl and keep aside.
- In a large skillet on low-medium heat, heat oil and then toss in the shallots.
- Cook until golden, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the tomatoes.
- Allow them to be coated in oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta in a separate pot until al dente. Follow package directions to cook the pasta.
- Drain and once again transfer the pasta to a pot.
- Pour tomato mixture over the pasta.
- Add tarragon and Parmesan.
- Toss to combine well.
- Divide the cooked pasta between 4 bowls.
- Top with additional Parmesan cheese if desired and serve.