Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I had made this for a party at mt best friend's home (who is a vegetarian) from the cookbook Catwalk Cuisine. It was a hit! Called Pasta Puttanesca by the author
- 500 g aubergines
- salt, to sprinkle on aubergine
- olive oil, for shallow frying
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 small dried red chilies, crumbled or 2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 1 cup black olives, stoned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 kg large frsh tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning or 1 sprig fresh oregano or 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 500 g spaghetti
- fresh basil leaf
- grated parmesan cheese
- Cut aubergine into cubes and sprinkle with salt.
- Drain and pat dry after 15-20 mins Heat oil for frying aubergine in a frying pan and shallow fry till golden brown Drain and set aside Heat virgin olive oil in a pan, add garlic, chilli flakes or chillies and cook for a minute or till garlic just begins to turn colour.
- Mix in olives, capers, tomatoes, puree and dried seasoning or fresh herbs Season with salt and pepper to taste Cover pan and cook sauce on low heat for 30-35 minutes.
- or till tomatoes are cooked through and sauce has thickened Add fried aubergine cubes and remove from heat.
- Cook spaghetti according to packet instructions.
- Drain and add spaghetti to sauce Add basil leaves and toss pasta in sauce till well coated Serve immediately with grated Parmesan on the side.
Wonderful! You can't ask for more flavour than this sauce provides. I've been making a similar one for years but this one is just perfect in its ingredients and proportions with lots of bold accents. One change I made was to add a hefty splash of a good red wine I have on hand - makes all the difference in the world for a flavourful red sauce. I have to say that I didn't use the Parmesan either. I crumbled some feta and sprinkled that over top and it was just unbelievable. This one is a keeper and I recommend that everyone try it!
Great recipe! I didn't bother weighing up ingredients but used one aubergine for 3 medium tomatoes, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 chilli, 3 heaped tablespoons kalamata olives, 1 tablespoon capers, 2 tablespoons tomato pasatta and it turned out great!
I LOVED this! Followed the directions except I didn't have any capers or dried red chili, and I used part of a red bell pepper. Tasted great, and DH says I'm going to make it again. Thanks for this fantastic recipe!