Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
You're not going to taste this and exclaim, "Wow, that's really anchovy-y!" What you'll exclaim (especially if you didn''t make it and don't know what it's called), will be "What *is* that -- it's marvelous!!" From *Everyday Food* magazine, this cooked sauce doesn't need to cook for long: bring to a boil, and then just a 15 minute simmer, so it will work as a weeknight meal. Yummy!
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 -16 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- coarse salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- In a blender or food processor, puree tomatoes with their juices until smooth.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and anchovies and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in basil and season with salt and pepper. Add spaghetti, toss to combine, and serve sprinkled with Parmesan.