Recipe by Moody
Great alternative to traditional tomato-based sauces. Creamier than you'd think. From Joie Warner's Spaghetti cookbook.
Top Review by Anu
Creamy is right! Why, this was downright velvety, and a flaming orange in colour. I used water instead of stock, and omitted the lemon zest, because, er... I don't know how to zest a lemon! All the ingredients just blend in beautifully to make a flavourful, nutritious and hearty sauce. This made for a fantastic lunch today. Thanks!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3 sweet red peppers, seeded,chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups vegetable stock
- fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 lb spaghetti or 3⁄4 lb spaghettini
- 1⁄2 cup chpped fresh basil or 1⁄2 cup parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 1 large lemon, grated zest of
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and butter in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add garlic, onion, and red peppers and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add stock, salt and pepper.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Puree in food processor (or use immersion blender), return to pan and simmer 8 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Drain well and add to sauce in skillet.
- Sprinkle with basil; toss for one minute to allow pasta to absorb flavours.
- Transfer to large serving bowl and sprinkle with lemon zest.
- Serve with cheese and pass the peppermill.