Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Vegetarian Times. The saffron will turn the pasta a lovely golden color.
- 8 ounces spaghetti, broken into thirds
- 1 (15 ounce) can low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon harissa or 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 lb mushroom, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 1 lb spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F Place pasta on baking sheet and coat with cooking spray.
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden, shaking pan once or twice to brown evenly.
- Bring vegetable broth, 21/2 cups water, tomato paste, harissa and saffron to a simmer in saucepan. Reduce heat to low, and keep warm.
- Heat large stockpot over medium-high heat, and coat with cooking spray. Add mushrooms, and cook 7 minutes, or until browned. Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
- Reduce heat to medium, and stir in pasta and 2 cups hot broth. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Add spinach, chickpeas and remaining broth. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes more, or until noodles are tender and most of broth is absorbed, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.