Recipe by echo echo
Spaghetti the pasta with spaghetti the squash, that is. A healthy, relatively low-fat pasta dish. To make this dish vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth powder or flakes for chicken bouillon powder.
- 1 (3 lb) spaghetti squash
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder (regular or low-sodium) or 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder (regular or low-sodium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (8 ounce) package spaghetti, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve the squash and scrape out the seeds and their strings.
- Place the squash halves, cut side down, in a large pot and add 2 inches water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes until squash is tender; drain.
- Use a fork to dislodge the spaghetti-like strands from the squash and separate; discard the shells of the squash.
- Combine bouillon powder with 1/2 cup boiling water.
- In large skillet over medium heat, heat oil and cook garlic 1 minute.
- Add squash strands and cook, stirring, about 1/2 minute.
- Add chicken bouillon, parsley, basil and lemon; cook, tossing gently, until the liquid simmers.
- Turn off heat, add the cooked spaghetti and toss to mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and pepper.