Recipe by Julesong
An adopted recipe.
Top Review by Deborrah Cooper
I took Bill's suggestion and sprinkled my shrimp with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning Salt and let it sit while I prepared the rest of the dish. I used Italian eggplant, and 3 cans of diced tomatoes with 1 can of tomato sauce, 2 Tablespoons of garlic. I also modified the recipe to reduce the fat content. Instead of using 2 tablespoons of oil to saute the eggplant, I sprayed a nonstick frying pan with Olive Oil PAM spray and was therefore able to tastefully reduce the fat content by more than 50% (sauteed the garlic in only 1 teaspoon of oil instead of 1 Tablespoon in nonstick frying pan as well). Hooray for my waistline!
- 4 quarts water
- 3⁄4 lb spaghetti
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp
- 1 eggplant (1 pound)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 32 ounces approx canned tomatoes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Salt the water and bring to a boil in a kettle; add the spaghetti and cook to the desired degree of doneness and/or according to package directions, then drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, peel and devein the shrimp and set aside.
- Trim the ends of the eggplant and peel it.
- Cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a saucepan and add the garlic.
- Cook, stirring, without browning.
- Add the tomatoes, honey, pepper flakes, basil (flat Italian parsley can be substituted), salt and pepper.
- Stir to blend, cover and simmer, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet and when it is very hot, add the eggplant, salt and pepper.
- Cook the eggplant, tossing it, until it's nicely browned.
- Drain and add the eggplant to the tomato sauce.
- Stir and cover and cook for 15 minutes or until well blended with the sauce.
- Meanwhile, in the same nonstick skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and add the shrimp, salt and pepper.
- Cook over high heat for one minute, stirring.
- Add the shrimp to the sauce, blend well and cook for one minute.
- Toss the cooked and drained spaghetti with the shrimp and eggplant mixture, and serve immediately with parmesan cheese.