Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A fast, simple dish, which takes only about 30 minutes to make. Great for this busy time of the year.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes, in thick puree
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth or 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3⁄4 lb spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat.
- Add the sausage and cook, turning, until browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- When cool enough, cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Add the onion, peppers and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt to the pan.
- Cook, stirring frequently until the vegetables begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft, about 3 minutes longer.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, vermouth, the reserved sausage and any accumulated juices, the parsley and the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, and bring to a simmer.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until just done, about 12 minutes.
- Drain and toss with the sausage and pepper mixture and the Parmesan.
- Serve with more Parmesan.
This was very tasty...but I have to admit that I made a couple of changes.....nothing serious though. I found that the sauce was very thin and since we like a thicker sauce, I added the wine to the chicken bouillon (didn't have any chicken stock). I used 1 pkg. of the bouillon with 3 tblsp. of wine and about 2 tblsps. of cornstarch. Mixed this up and added it at the end to the sausage and pepper mixture. This thickened it up nicely and gave a lovely added flavour. Both DH and I loved this but it did make a lot....we both had healthy servings and there is more than enough for dinner tonight! It could easily serve 5 - 6!! I'll make this again, Summer Breeze....it's a keeper!
This was delicious Summer Breeze! Thank you for the great recipe! It made such a wonderful sauce, even though you can't see that by my picture. I used tongs to plate everything, and maybe that is why. I forgot to include the parsley, but that was it! Thanks, again! Coming back to add.. I didn't use link sausage either, but it didn't specify in the ingredients. Thanks again!